This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure here.
Living in the Zoo. What does that even mean? Do I really live in a Zoo? (Trust me, some days it feels like it.) Well, the Zoo stands for Kalamazoo. I am located in the wonderful state of Michigan! So take a look at your hand and compare to the photo above! A side note: People from Michigan always point to their right hands when explaining where they live. I’ve caught myself doing it without even thinking!
I’ve decided to write a little information about Kalamazoo for those unfamiliar with it. It is located in the southwest region of the state of Michigan. It is almost half way from Detroit, MI and Chicago, IL. The population as of 2010 was 74,262. The Kalamazoo-Portage Metropolitan Area has a population of around 335,000. Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo College, and Kalamazoo Valley Community College are all located here, as well as some trade schools.
Other Awesome Kalamazoo Facts:
- It was original home of the Gibson Guitar Corporation (until it was moved to Memphis).
- Bell’s Brewery was established in Kalamazoo in 1985 and is known for it’s Oberon Beer. Bell’s beer is distributed in 32 states.
- Each graduate of Kalamazoo Public Schools qualifies for the Kalamazoo Promise. The Promise offers a scholarship (up to 100%) for any 4 year university or community college.
- Arts and Kalamazoo go hand in hand. The city has an Arts Counsel, hosts Art Hop on the first Friday of every month, and has a lot of theatre and music venues.
- There are 4 museums and a spectacular library that has won awards.
I could talk about my city for days. In the future I will post about restaurants, festivals, and fun things to do. Have you visited this great city before? Please let me know! Comment Below!
—Renea from Kalamazoo
Follow me on Pinterest!